Skip to main content

It's time to FLY!


This has been a rough couple of weeks. We have done an almost complete tear down and rebuild of the interior of the bus. Previously we had moved the bed from its original location in the back to the front and built an office/studio in the back. The new plans made us have to do the reverse.

We got an awesome deal on a Barudan 15-needle commercial embroidery machine. We have some really really BIG ideas! As artists with newly-acquired knowledge of the apparel industry we feel that we can use our talents in a very special niche market…but I digress…



The machine is fairly large and we knew that we would never get it into the back studio with the potty chamber, shower, and closet configuration. Among the three there is a sharp narrow zigzag turn that would be impossible to make with that size of machine table. What to do?

Well, we almost completely gutted the inside of the back studio and the front living area tearing them down to empty nothingness. The biggest thrill was putting carpet in the back area. The floor had been bare sheet lead for over a year since we removed the bed and the scary carpet reminiscent of our motHell management years. We always intended to put something else down until now.

Since I knew I would be beading and doing glass in the back area I didn't want a hard floor. I chose a grey commercial carpet courtesy of Lowe's. The room is small so off-the-roll carpet was kind of a waste at 12' (feet) wide, plus, I didn't want to cut it to size anyway. Really, the bed will be covering 90% of the surface anyway. Solution: 3-foot wide carpet runners cut in 10-foot lengths.

I need to mention that the floor is lined with lead to help reduce heat and noise because our "headboard" is really a box built to house a big-ass diesel engine. It can get hot in the back on the floor so adhesives were really out of the question. It would either get ooey-gooey or crunchy-wunchy. Solution: staple gun, and a hammer to smash the staples down really good. Yes, the staples show, but I lined them up using my best OCD skills. We called it "Frankencarpet" because of the "stitched together" look. But it's all good—the adhesive holding the carpet headliner on the ceiling got crunchy-wunchy and lost adhesion. I stapled that up too in a fine diamond-tuft pattern.

It was all looking pretty good. I got a new closet out of the deal so I can now find my clothes:




I have storage for my beads and tools as well as a really cool workbench, but that's for later because I can't get to either of them. As usual we were on a deadline and absolutely positively had to leave today to make it to Las Vegas in time for the big race weekend. Everything we took out of the bus during the remodel had to be put back in the bus. No time to organize or put away. The place is in complete chaos and I don't mind saying that it makes me feel a little bit claustrophobic!

I have been so down and depressed since the beginning of this remodel…so much work, and me with a really, really bad head/chest cold. It was pure misery. BigAl kept me hoppin' the whole time. Not a single moment for rest during the while time except for normal bedtime. I just sucked down TheraFlu and Dayquil and hoped for the energy to keep going. I was becoming overwhelmed very quickly, and depression was setting in. I knew I was in over my head this time and I needed help—Fast.

I knew right where to go. I needed a routine. I needed to take "baby steps" so I wouldn't get even more overwhelmed. I went to http://www.flylady.net where I had been years before but had not really committed myself to make it work. The plan is based on "baby steps" so as not to overwhelm the new "flybaby".

Baby step #1 is to "shine your sink" which seems odd with so much other stuff around in disarray. I was all for shining my sink…if I could find my sink, that is. I'm horrible about washing dishes, or in my case glasses & utensils. I never allow "foody" dishes to sit in the sink. That grosses me out.

So I haven't seen the bottom of my sink in a good 2-3 months, I think. I knew my shot glass and margarita shaker had to be down there somewhere also. I actually have a very small sink. It's actually a bar sink because I opted for a single sink and more counter space. It shouldn't have been that hard. It wasn't hard but it was very time consuming.

I found two tall juice glasses (I thought I only had one), my margarita shaker, my margarita glass, my ESPN Zone shot glass, and a whole bunch of stainless flatware. For the last little while I thought all my metal flatware had been disappearing. We have been using Dixie bowls/plates and plastic flatware from Wendy's for our at-home meals. In fact, I had a ton of plasticware. I will admit that I bought plasticware in lieu of washing the flatware that I already had and had "forgotten" about.

There is no excuse to be using and re-using plastic. Utensils when there is a full set of real metal flatware available. It took almost four hours to empty, wash, and put away that tiny bar sink full of utensils, misc food storage containers, lids, and barware…but it's done. I did it, put it all away and I'm just overwhelmed with the sense of accomplishment that one little act gave me. I really DID something that made a difference!

Now the challenge is to use my OCD for good and keep that sink empty and spotless after use and at all times. I will probably even remember to load and use the dishwasher too. I feel great and that was just one step for one day, my first day! I wonder what tomorrow's "baby step" task will be. I can't wait for tomorrow to find out. I am excited and motivated. The sooner I get my shit together, the sooner I can get back to creating, be it jewelry, embroidery or whatever!

Can I get a WOOT? Thanks, I gave myself one too!

- Posted From My iPhone

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wire Wrap Cuff Bracelet Preview

Well, "finished" in the wirework sense. I still need to give it a patina...yukky pic, but I was so excited to be finished with the wire part... I call this my " Three Tutorial Bracelet ". When I first saw the wire-wrapped bracelets made by Julie Sigmund of Jewlie Beads my jaw hit the floor! I was perusing the Lampwork Etc. galleries last September/October and saw her bracelets: WOW! They were "just my style" made with mixed copper and silver and highlighted with a lampwork bead. What could be better? Why... a tutorial or pattern, of course! Eventually she wrote up the tutorial and put it up for sale on Etsy. This is the bracelet that she wrote the tutorial for: To purchase your own copy of Julie's tutorial go to JewlieBeads.etsy.com and look in her shop for the " Tutorial for Wire Wrapped Cuff Bracelet ". As you can see, I did not use a lampwork bead focal for my bracelet. It isn't that I don't have one, I had one all ready to go,

What is the Legal Definition of ‘Ice Cream’?

Image via Wikipedia I never thought I would have to ask that question. I was at the grocery store. I wanted ice cream. Not just any ice cream, chocolate ice cream. The suggestion had been put into my head during a recent Twitter conversation—I'm easily influenced when it comes to dessert foods. The ice cream selection at the local supermarket is unbelievable…it's huge! I don't buy ice cream very often but I do know that I can just pass the frozen yogurt, ‘lite’, soy, rice, non-dairy, sorbet, and otherwise marked package right by. If I'm going to eat ice cream, I want ice cream, full-fat and full-flavor. This particular grocery store didn't carry my favorite (and trusted) brand, Blue Bunny , so I was forced to find an alternative. Pint-sized premiums like Ben & Jerrys , Haagen Dazs , or Starbucks were out. A pint is [almost] too much to eat in one sitting but since any amount left in a pint is "too little to save, I might as well eat it all…"

Jewelry Class In-a-Box

Jewelry Class In-a-Box! I have always been crafty and love to work with my hands. I love needle arts, crochet is my favorite and the first of the arts that I learned at the tender age of 6. I started beading just four short years ago. I was looking for something to do for "extra income", something fun and crafty. I found my passion at the local Joann Craft and Fabrics in Kissimmee, Florida, in a package called Jewelry Class in-a-Box . Hey, it was on sale—something like 40 or 50% off. Couldn't pass THAT up! I had really not made any type of beaded item before. I had done some on-loom bead weaving and had made a couple of crochet necklaces from yarn but had never created a strung beaded object so it was all new to me. The kit came with glass pearls, crystals, bugle beads, metal beads, beading wire, crimps, clasps, head 7 eye pins, earring findings, a bead board, and some round-nose-type pliers. I followed the written instructions carefully and was